This summary provides a brief overview of City Council meetings and does not reflect all discussion and debate. For full details, download the agenda package or watch the full meeting on the City of Medicine Hat’s YouTube channel.
Councilor Sharps offered condolences to the family, friends, and colleagues of Edmonton Police Service members Constable Travis Jordan and Constable Brett Ryan who lost their lives in the line of duty on March 16. Councilor Sharps paid tribute by acknowledging their contributions as well as those of the Medicine Hat Police Service, and advised that the flags at all City of Medicine Hat facilities will fly at half-mast until sunset on the day of the regimental funeral on March 27.
Representing the Community Foundation of Southeastern Alberta, Board Chair, Frances Barnes, and Executive Director, Niki Gray presented to Council on their organization’s work in the community and its impact.
Managing Director of Energy and Infrastructure, Brad Maynes, provided a presentation to the Council entitled Gas Wells in our Backyard. The presentation outlines a history on gas well development in Medicine Hat, current gas well activity, and the ongoing work to abandon wells within municipal limits to ensure safety and address environmental considerations.
City Council adopted the minutes of the Administrative and Legislative Committee meeting of March 15, 2023 into the corporate record and:
- approved a motion to direct administration to further review Policy 0146, Legal Representation and Indemnification of Council Members and Employees, and bring the item back to the April 17 meeting of City Council;
- gave first, second and third reading to Bylaw 4734, a bylaw of the City of Medicine Hat to amend the Administrative Organization Bylaw to align with the current Municipal Government Act.
City Council adopted the minutes of the Public Services Committee meeting of March 13, 2023 into the corporate record.
City Council received the minutes of the Municipal Planning Commission meeting of March 8, 2023 for information and gave first reading to the following bylaws:
- Bylaw 4724 to amend the Land Use Bylaw to make improvements to definitions and development regulations. A public hearing will occur at the April 3, 2023 meeting of City Council.
- Bylaw 4770 to amend the Land Use Bylaw to rezone the subject property (1809 Strachan Road SE) from Regional Commercial District to Medium Density Residential District. A public hearing will occur at the April 3, 2023 meeting of City Council.
- Bylaw 4775 to amend the Land Use Bylaw to rezone the subject property (1482 5 Avenue SE and 378/380 Kipling Street SE) from Community Services District to Medium Density Residential District. A public hearing will occur at the April 3, 2023 meeting of City Council.
Under new business City Council:
- Gave first, second and third reading to Bylaw 4777, a bylaw to amend the Electric Utility Bylaw. The amendment will rectify a clerical omission.
- Gave first reading of road closure Bylaw 4781 to close the land/road west of 5th Ave SE as described. A public hearing will occur at the April 3, 2023 meeting of City Council.
City Council received for information an update from City Manager Mitchell regarding Invest Medicine Hat. The division will continue to be controlled by the City of Medicine Hat and the Executive Team will work on Invest Medicine Hat’s organizational structure to ensure the strategic vision of the Council can be implemented, and initiate immediate recruitment for the vacant positions within Invest Medicine Hat.