Local agents also brought in almost $20,000 for housing-related charities, surpassing the financial fundraising bar for 2022.
Realtors across the Tri-Cities have eclipsed another big number in its annual campaign to clothe those in need over the winter seasons.
The Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver (REBGV) and its member agencies have now donated winter clothing to more than 480,000 people in the last 28 years through its annual Realtors Care Blanket Drive.
For 2022, the week-long November event brought in enough supplies to help more than 27,300 residents in the region, primarily women and children fleeing abusive situations.
The Tri-City Transitions Society (200-2540 Shaughnessy St.) was one of the recipients thanks to 16 local realtor offices in Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam and Port Moody.
Metro Vancouver residents also opened up their wallets to donate nearly $20,000 for the cause — said to be the “largest and longest running” winter clothing drive in all of BC — surpassing the campaign’s initial fundraising goal of $15,000.
The money is earmarked for local housing-related non-profit organizations, said REBGV spokesperson Daniel John.
“Our partner charities were in dire need of blankets and warm clothing this year,” he said in a release. The initiative took place Nov. 14 to 21 this year.
“Now, thanks to our generous Blanket Drive donors, these charities can better help some of the most vulnerable people in our communities.”
Among the items donated included blankets, sleeping bags, new socks and underwear, coats and sweaters, scarves and hats.
The Realtors Care Blanket Drive began in 1994 and is a collective effort between the REBGV, the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board and Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board.
The Tri-Cities real estate firms that participated this year were as follows (in alphabetical order):
- Blue West Realty (204 Blue Mountain St.)
- Evergreen West Realty (#206-2963 Glen Dr.)
- Johnston Meir Insurance (#202-3387 David Ave.)
- Macdonald Realty Ltd. (5C-2662 Austin Ave.)
- Hanna Realty Ltd. (#620-329 North Rd.)
- Park Georgia Realty Ltd. (BC-435 North Rd.)
- RE/MAX All Points Realty Group (#101-1020 Austin Ave.)
- Royal LePage West (2185 Austin Ave.)
- Stonehouse Realty (1126 Austin Ave.)
- Sutton Group-1st West Realty (#118-3030 Lincoln Ave.)
- Sutton Group-West Coast Realty (#102-403 North Rd.)
- Keller Williams Elite Realty (A123-2099 Lougheed Hwy.)
- RE/MAX Saber Realty Group (#102-2748 Lougheed Hwy.)
- Royal LePage West (#101-2264 Elgin Ave.)
- Royal LePage Sterling (220 Brew St.)
- Royal LePage Sterling Axfords (#13-201 Morrisey Rd.)